Tag Archives: primrose bakery

Happy Cakes

Since the last entry “Cupcake Disaster” I have reverted to using the Primrose Bakery Vanilla Cupcake recipe.

I think I have mastered the art of not over-beating the mixture, although I do still tend to hover around the oven whilst they are cooking to see if they are rising. When I see they are, I do heave a huge sigh of relief.

Anyway, a couple of batches after the disaster SC tries a cake and says “Mummy, these are delicious! What did you do to make them so scrummy?”

To which I replied, “I made them with love and happiness!”

He loved that explanation, so we have renamed them happy cakes, and every time he tries one from a new batch he always says they are good happy cakes šŸ˜‰

Happy cakes it would seem go down well in this house – by George, I may have cracked the basic cupcake recipe.

Maybe it’s time to takeĀ the cupcake makingĀ to the next level?

Leave a comment

Filed under Cooking

Cupcake Disaster!!

The weekend saw my first major-league cupcake DISASTER!!

I had used a new recipe 2 weeks ago – the Primrose Bakery vanilla cupcake recipe.

It was a good recipe and resulted in a good textured cupcake. More akin to the shop-bought cupcakes than I have managed to get in my attempts so far.

I’m not sure if it was because the recipe used a larger quantity of all-purpose flour in relation to self-raising flour, or because when it came to adding the flour and milk the recipe said “beat”, so I dispensed with the folding technique and just carried on using my electric beater.

Anyway, I used the same recipe again at the weekend.

I thought when I was spooning the mixture into the cake cases that it didn’t look, or feel right. Then the cakes didn’t rise as much as normal.

I had no inkling anything could be wrong.

But the cakes were so YUCK, even SC couldn’t eat them. He took one mouthful, look puzzled, then took a smaller mouthful, before spitting it out and saying “YUCK! These are disgusting!”

I was at a loss. I had used the same recipe, what could possibly have gone wrong?

I narrowed it down to 2 possibilities:

1.Ā  I had used different sugar. I replaced my light brown sugar with fruit sugar – natural sugar where you need to use one-third less.

or

2. I had done something wrong in the mixing process.

I had also made a batch of rock cakes that morning using the fruit sugar – yes, Saturday is a good morning. The kitchen always smells scrummy!

The rock cakes had turned out fine, and tasted good.

So, I don’t think it could have been the use of a different sugar.

Where had I, then, gone wrong in the mixing process?

The only thing I could think of that I had done differently was to keep the beater on whilst adding the flour and milk. I must have over-beaten it. I had no idea this was even possible to over-beat a cake!

When I was adding the last remnants of milk into the mixture it did keep clinging to the beater. I guess that should have given me a clue that something was wrong.

Still, we live and learn. One batch of bad cupcakes is not a total disaster, just a learning curve.

Note to self, don’t over-mix next time.

I did make another batch on Sunday morning, still using the beater but making sure I turned it off between flour and milk additions, and the cakes turned out perfectly šŸ˜‰

1 Comment

Filed under Cooking