Way back in January (doesn’t seem that long ago, this year is whipping by) I set out a list of “Things I want to do in 2014”
Progress is, well, slow, to say that very least:
1. I gave up reading Tolstoy’s “War and Peace”. I got through 21% of it, but to be brutally honest, I didn’t care about any of the characters, and when I read a book I want to care about, or be able to relate to at least one of them, and I got completely and utterly bored. Now that may make me ignorant of great literature or stupid for not finding it inspiring, and if that is so, well, so be it. But I would rather not waste any of my 86,400 seconds that I have in a day reading something I find dull, just because it’s something ‘you should read’ – that to me is a waste of life.
2. Learning to speak Spanish – this is one of the things I am doing, slowly but surely. I have the CD, but I also bought a box set, very reasonably for a bargain £5, which contains CD, phrase books, and a weekly step-by-step guide. I whizzed through week 1, and am now ploughing my way through week 2, food and drink. I am fairly confident now, I can book a table and maybe even order a cup of tea and churros 😉
3. Learn to play the piano – have started pretending to practise, badly, in an attempt to get SC to do a bit more practise. It seems to be working. I’m finding his book very good to work through and he’s just learning to put two hands together. This one I fear will be a long drawn out process. I certainly have no grand dreams that I will be a concert pianist, however, I would just like to be able to read the bass line of the music and be able to bash out a tune or two.
4. Take a singing exam, just for fun – no progress on this, although I have got a singing teacher, just need the funds 😉
5. Learn to knit and actually knit something – no progress, as yet, still autumn is fast approaching, so there’s time 😉
6. Go and see Mamma Mia – tried so very hard to get Kids Week tickets for SC and I for this, but I had no luck. Again plenty of time, maybe I’ll treat us later on in the year.
7. Try to do my exercise DVDs each day – this actually went well during January. However, medical problems and operation forced a cessation of activity. However, post-operative progress seems to be sufficient for me to be able to resume exercising. I’m also thinking of starting a ballet class, it’s been too long I fear my muscles will scream in agony!
8. Train my chimp – have been training my chimp and channelling my good psychopath qualities. I’ve been working and developing my new business and am ready to launch 😉 Looking forward to new adventures 😉
9. Try a different soup each week – total failure to date ;-( maybe I should just try one and tell SC I used a different coloured mud?
10. Start writing my book – planning in progress. I have a vague(ish) outline, working on character development and plots.
So there you have it!
Not too horrendous really, considering I still have 6 months of the year to go. Admittedly, I’m no where near setting the world on fire, but these are things I wanted to do for me. For no one else, just for my own sense of learning something new, finishing something I started and just sometimes for the sheer fun and hell of it 😉