…seriously, am I the only one honest enough to admit that I thought LOL stood for “Lots of Love”?
I really did think that until ‘Boomerang Boy’ put me straight.
I knew a few common abbreviations, mostly from work:
FUBAR – F***ed up beyond all recognition
SNAFU – Situation normal, all f***ed up!
IMHO – In my honest opinion
FYI – For your information
etc., etc., etc.
But these days text abbreviations really does seem to be a minefield – and it must be such a nightmare with ‘autocorrect’ as well! And how does the recipient(s) of the text know, sometimes, which meaning to use to translate the abbreviation. After all some have 2, maybe even 3 meanings – wouldn’t that be awkward! For instance ‘AA’ could mean Alcoholics Anonymous, As Above or even Ask About and ‘CB’ means Coffee Break, Chat Break and Crazy B*!
Anyway, I found a couple of lists on the wonder-web and have trawled through them to find some that I thought were quite amusing. So here goes:
- HFAC – Holy Flipping Animal Crackers!
- IIIO – Intel Inside, Idiot Outside (like this one – especially as I used to work on IT Helpdesks!)
- L8RG8R – Later Gator
- ROFLCOPTER – Rolling On Floor Laughing and spinning around!
- T:)T – Think happy Thoughts
- WH5 – Who, What, Why, When and Where?
- XYZ – Examine Your Zipper
- YABA – Yet Another Bl***y Acronym
- 8L3W – 8 Letters 3 Words (the one that’s easy to say and hard to prove – “I’m a Zebra!” obviously 😉 )
- ABC – apparently it’s Anything But Chardonnay if you are ordering drinks, Already Been Chewed, if not!
- BBB – Blah, Blah, Blah!
- BRB – Bathroom Break (have seen this before and always wondered what it meant – now I know!)
- BURMA – Be Upstairs And Ready My Angel 😉
- FEAR – Forget Everything And Run!
- PIMP – Put In My Pocket
- SAP – Send Another Person
If you’ve got any text acronyms that you’d like to share, feel free 😉